Hearing something just out of sight

Have any scary nightmares? Share them with us!
Lachian

Hearing something just out of sight

Post by Lachian »

A recurring nightmare from childhood:

I would have a dream where I would hear someone or something moving downstairs. When I finally got up the courage to go down the dark stairway into the basement and turn on the lights there would be nothing there, but then I would hear the same noise on the main floor where I just was. There was only one stairway in the house so how did it pass me?

Then I would go upstairs and the noise would move back to the basement. It sounded light someone was trying to light a cigarette with a lighter, that metal on flint sound grating into the air, but no flame ever produced. Eventually I would decide to stand in the middle of the stairs and wait.

Then the noise would come from both above and below me. Being a child I would run back to my bed but the hallway to my bedroom door would stretch onward and onward and the noise would chase me down the hall. The door was always about three long strides away but the noise was getting louder and louder.

Then as the noise was all around me and almost deafening the door to my room, still out of reach, would slowly open up. I would wake before I saw what or who it was that was there, but my gut told me it was the thing making the noise and not my help or salvation.
Grabthehoopka

Re: Hearing something just out of sight

Post by Grabthehoopka »

Oh, geez!
matt

Post by matt »

Scary!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
Xar

Post by Xar »

Oh, my! Your post title just made me remember a song from Iron Maiden:

Fear of the Dark.

Later at home I'll try to post it here :) I can't right now 'cos at work my access to youtube has been banned.